Wednesday, September 21, 2016

WebPost 3


This past Thursday, September 15th, we discussed our reading from "To Teach: the journey in Comics" by William Ayers and created a skit with the props we brought that related to the reading. Each group showed their own interpretation of the three chapters we read before Thursday. I learned that there are different ways of teaching kids especially ones that don’t fit into a nice little box. Each group used different analogies and situations to express the same underlying theme. Students who are deemed extra work or the difficult ones that are often diagnosed and given medication to “solve” those issues. These different skits that were presented in class made me reflect on my own experience with such titles and medication issues. My younger brother was diagnosed with ADHD in seventh grade when he had difficulties with teachers and he chose not to do his work. The counselor decided that instead of trying to help him cope through tough teachers they went straight to medication. The side effects of the medications they put him on hit him hard. He went through a really rough depression period that he kept hidden from my parents for a long time and I was his only friend that he told about what was going on so I encouraged him to stop taking the medication and that’s when my parents noticed something was up. They got him the help he needed and activities that made him happy. He is doing very well and is still on medication. The dose is smaller and is on a different medication. So my question is why do counselors and doctors automatically turn to medication to help the troubled kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment