Monday, September 12, 2016

WebPost 2

Teaching has been in the back of my head throughout my life but Psychology and special needs has continuously peeked my interest. I originally thought about teaching students with special needs. I asked the teaching staff at my high school and they told me that it takes a lot of patience and love. I can handle that. I think all teaching requires that but this job would require a little extra. They then informed me that the down side is that once I am in that field I will most likely be stuck there for my whole career. The word “stuck” didn’t sit well with me so I began to discover other areas of study that fused the two. The one I found that, one of the multiple programs John Carroll offers, was the Psychological Science. I don’t see myself being a Clinical Psychologist instead I think I will continue with a research component in my future. Over this past summer I switched my major from Adolescent/Young Adult (AYA) with a focus in Mathematics to Psychological Science with a Mental Health component. I didn’t want to completely disregard my interest in Education so I took this course to either confirm my instincts or shatter them completely. Fun stuff right?
One of the multiple reasons I wanted to become a teacher was because of my love for the competition to find new ways to communicate the same material to people. It may sound silly but no one really learns the same so for the teacher it’s their job to find new ways to communicate the same information in different ways to every student. Some common ones are visual aids. Seeing the information through photos helps others than text on a page. Another way is with graphs, for those mathematically inclined.

I don’t want to get into teaching for the wrong reasons like Kohl said and I hope this class will guide me to the right decision for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment